Monday, April 6, 2009

6 April 2009








Back in Paris... Amsterdam was AMAZING. By far, Amsterdam is my favorite trip I have taken thus far. It is BEAUTIFUL and I had a great time. Took a plane with my roommate Molly and met up with my friend (and future roommate in my 8 woman house in Pittsburgh) Meghan, who is studying in London. When we walked out of Centraal Station it was a perfect, sunny day. Our hostel, the Bulldog, was incredible. It is by far the nicest hostel I have seen......the lobby is decorated to the max-there is a fish tank in the wall-and the people at reception were just really cool and fun. We were in a room with 7 other people....all people ranging from about 18 to 25....mostly from England and Australia. Everyone was really friendly and it was more than tolerable--I really enjoyed staying there. After we checked in we went to the Anne Frank Haus, which was far more moving than I anticipated. The museum is beautifully done and it was such a wonderful experience. I'm really glad I went. Friday night we went out on a pub crawl hosted by "Ultimate Amsterdam", aka crazy Australian guys who were super nice and showed us a great time. We were friends all night with kids from Wales, England, Australia, and Scotland. It was pretty funny. 

The following day we went to the Van Gogh Museum, and saw an exhibition on themes related to the night. It was great to see--a very cool museum. We walked around Museum Plein for a long time, did the Heineken Experience (tour of the original brewery with lots of weird interactive stuff, a beer tasting, and plenty of history.....it was actually interesting) and then at night we got a great Indonesian meal. After dinner we walked around the Red Light District....something to definitely see. Coming face to face with prostitutes was....well.....interesting. Kind of sad and degrading to look at--I felt like a little kid who was looking at something they should not have been. 

All in all....Amsterdam was great. Met some fun people, saw some amazing things, had some good times. 

In Paris until Friday.....when I depart for Athens.

Peace and Love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment